Reflective Searching

After reading through all the material I couldn't wait to try the Google Challenge. Since I'm a history teacher I choose to go through the history questions; took time to think about some of the questions (I don't teach all the topics covered all the time.). However if I stop and look at the questions through the eyes of my students ages 14-18 year old, things would be totally different. 

There are many factors that play a part in answering the questions for students would be: age of student, history classes taken and interest in history to name a few. One of the questions that I looked at said the oldest signer of the Declaration of Independence didn't like the national emblemed chosen and would have replaced it with what? Be a teacher my mind instantly goes to a list of who all signed the Declaration of Independence, then I attempt to gage their ages. Once I've done that I think about what would be considered the national emblemed and what would someone have thought was better. I easily figured out the older signer was Ben Franklin and the emblem as the bald eagle, at that point I got stuck. 

This is where I decided to do just as my students would do and just start Googling. Most students wouldn't copy the whole question and put it into the search bar, instead they would start looking up other national emblemed ideas or anything close to "save time". When I searched "alternative national emblem symbols for the United States" I got the following suggestions:

  • national symbols from around the world
  • national state symbols
  • national symbols and icons
  • symbols of the US
  • national symbol ideas

Based on my results saying students search exactly what I did most would become frustrated and just put down any answer without it making sense or even being able to explain their answer.

Granted a couple of students may come up with the correct answer with is actually a turkey, but probably only those that actually copied the whole question in the search bar and if they took the time to read through the different search results. We all know students they want to take the first answer that comes up and just be done with the work; problem with that is they aren't actually learning the material they are just practicing how to search stuff on the internet. 

If I stop and think about it at times I'm as guilty as my students just doing a quick search and taking whatever down for an answer and many times that has come back to haunt me. In the future I need to be better about using the different search methods we saw in the video "12 Cool Google Search Tricks....", by doing this is would help save me time and may help me element any wrong answers. 

Comments

  1. I thought the exact same thing! My 15 year old would have copied and pasted the whole question in the search bar without doing what you did, which is thinking about your prior knowledge first. I do wonder to what extent critical thinking skills are being diminished by the lack of need to use their prior knowledge to find information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that. I see that in my own 6th grader with his math and even spelling, he doesn't really need to remember how to spell because he has spell check and with math he's got a calculator. These are my son's excuses and I can't totally disagree sadly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go

Inquiry Based Learning.....

Reflections on Fluency